Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grandmother



Jesse and I decided to take Shillelagh out to Target the other day. She had tons of fun playing with all the different sorts of balls in the toy department as well as running through the clothing section! We had finally gotten her back into the cart and decided it was time to check out. While we were in line she decided that she wasn't going to be patient and started fussing and straining against the belt. So, instead of letting her get into a fit, I decided to start playing some hand games with her. We started out with the classic Patty-cake which she absolutely adores. (And is quite adorable herself while she is clapping and singing along :))
When it was our turn, the cashier said, (specifically now, this is her word for word)..."It's asking for your date of birth." Now being the semi-intelligent person I am, I realized that while she didn't actually acknowledge my existence with a "Hello" she was speaking to me and although I probably look old enough to purchase the beer she scanned, the register won't move along unless she types in a birthdate. So, I give her the date and continued my game with my lovely little toddler which had progressed into the Itsy Bitsy Spider.
The cashier then says to me, " Grandmother?".
Now, I wasn't quite sure if she was talking to me or not. Perhaps she just remembered something that made her blurt out the word Grandmother. Perhaps she is a grandmother and wanted to share in her pride. Perhaps she thought that their should be a grandmother in the Itsy Bitsy Spider.
I stared at her with a questioning look while these thoughts spun around my head. Sort of like a dog will look at you when you are calling it's name and has no idea what you are trying to communicate.
She then says, "Oh, I'm sorry, it's just that usually when their young only the grandmother has time for silly games. You usually don't have time for that when they are young."
Now, that seems like a logical train of thought, sort of. But I had just given her my birthdate which makes me 33. While it is possible that I had a child at sixteen and then my child had a child at 16, it is highly unlikely. And then again, do I look like a grandmother????

So while I stood there dumbfounded and searching for reason, Jesse comes to the rescue with "Yes, we like to play silly games. We think it is a lot of fun. We don't mind being silly at all."

So I have officially been grandmothered! Now, I really don't have a problem with getting older. Actually, I like being in my 30's. There is a sense of accomplishment and I don't have so many silly and petty thoughts running through my head. But I hadn't realize that I could be considered a grandmother to some. It always amazes me how other people see things and how their standards for judgment, like this cashiers' judgment for what a grandmother is and does, is so very very different from mine. I truly appreciated the enlightenment she gave me that came from her assumption.

Jesse also so lovingly put it, "You are the sexiest grandmother I know!!:)"

What a sweet and endearing husband!

No comments: