Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This winter has been insane with the amount of snow we have gotten.  For the month of January, Connecticut got almost 4 feet of snow.  That means I now hate snow. Well, I hate driving in snow. I have always hating driving in snow. Well, except for making donuts in the snow. 
My normal commute takes me 45 minutes on a good day. Lately it takes me well over an hour to get to work and today I couldn't even get out of the city because the ice was building up on my windshield wiper blades and I had to keep stopping to clean them off.  I figured that was okay in town, but not safe if I had to stop on the highway. 
So I took the day off. However, the good catholic in me still feels the guilt. Like I am not doing my best or something??? Let it go girl. 
We are going to be celebrating my father's 82nd birthday this weekend. We are having a party at my house and there should be about 30 people all together. I am very excited to finally have my family over. I really like my house. It's beautiful and wonderful and huge and really really pretty. The thing is, it feels more like home when the house is full of people. So I like having parties and inviting people over.  I never knew it before because we didn't have room. Now we got LOTS of room.  We have had lots of parties too. Now it is my turn to host. My family, from both my my mother and my fathers side and almost all my siblings. I haven't seen some of these people for many,many years. 
It is interesting since most of my interactions with these people has been as a child. It is has been so long, that part of me still sees them from that child point of view, even though I am a 35 year old mother of 5. I was always referred to as the baby. I am the youngest of 5 and my parents were in their mid-forties when they had me. It was as if I was some sort of anomaly and the rest of my siblings were the normal family. There is a 9 year difference between my closest sibling and me, 20 years between my oldest sibling and me. I know there is something about birth order and how the gap of a few years between children can somewhat start the birth order over, but I am not quite sure how it would apply to me. My high school psychology teacher once referred to me as the "passionfruit" of my parents marriage.  Perhaps.

No comments: