Monday, September 10, 2007

Being the bread baker

So today, I made my third loaf of bread. Well technically it has been 6 loaves . This is the best batch yet. It was so sticky when I was handling it and very light. It puffed down when I opened the oven door while it was rising for the 2nd time.

This bread thing is amazing. It may be just some flour, water, sugar and yeast, but when these ingredients combine, they make something of an expression for the day. All my energy goes into the kneading. What determines the exact amount of flour that you use? The humidity? The heat? My breath? God only knows and I plan to learn more of the ways of bread making . I want to make it every week for the rest of my life.

Some people will do Tarot, but I am more into bread making. It would be easier if the kids were more consistent in their routine. Then I would know just when I had a pocket of time to make it first thing in the morning. Then I could plan my day around the rising and baking. What I need to do is try and stay as consistant as I can be with regards to ingredients. That way I can limit the variables. Some variables will be somewhat out of my control, like the temperature of the room and weather.

I would love to spend some time with an experienced home breadmaker. Some older woman with all of the wisdom of her years that she could talk to me about and pass on. Then I have the chance of passing it on to my kids. That way their path has a chance of being shorter or easier. Well, only if they are listening.

No comments: