Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Child Interrupted

I just finished reading Susanna Kaysen's biography "Girl Interrupted" after watching the movie a few nights ago. I can't really explain my connection to this movie. After all, it's about an insane teen and I was never insane. Although, there were many times people probably thought I was. I really was pleased at her questions about sanity as well and the mind and the brain.

This seems to come at a good time too. I have been revisiting our approach to homeschooling and how affective the methods we use have been to the kids. While they are very conscious of their social interactions and they have a high emotional awareness, they still feel fear when "called out", so to speak. They feel like they don't know enough and that they aren't smart when in regards to academics. For example, Huckleberry and Jesse were playing Yu GI Oh. Everything was going fine until Huckleberry had to subtract. Jesse walked him through a few things, but it was as if he just gave up after not getting the answer right on the first try. Perhaps he was embarassed and learning how to deal with that emotion. I just don't know how to teach him that while it is alright to have an emotion about a situation, it isn't always right to act on it. I am hoping that he will have enough life lessons to learn this quickly on his own. This where I have to let go.

While homeschooling has been beneficial in so many ways, this is still a new path for us. The question really is, what is education and what do our kids need to know to succeed in life? It is all a matter of personal judgement really.

No comments: